Monday, March 21, 2011

Back in the States...

I wanted to make a few final notes about my amazing trip to South Africa. I still just can't get over what  beautiful places we saw over there! The mountains, the seashores, the wild animals and so forth. The South African people have been blessed in many ways yet they're in such need as well. The two really contrast each other. It was striking how we would go out and visit these absolutely beautiful places, seeming to have an abundance of everything, then we would get back into the cab & just a few minutes down the road we would be "shocked" back into the reason we were over there. You'd see the shacks and the poverty everywhere.

I was so impressed with the spirit of the people I met though - so warm, friendly and full of hope for the future! Your heart really goes out to them and you realize how blessed we are in America. I really have a different perspective on things. The charity & what they're accomplishing is truly inspirational. When we visited the Centers of Excellence I just kept wondering, "Where would these kids be this afternoon, what would they be doing & what in the heck would they get to eat for dinner if these centers didn't exist"? I don't want to think about that & that's why I'm a committed fundraiser again this year. Check out my site at
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/mike-hooper/Safelite-Triathlon if you too would like to join in this great cause...

No comments:

Post a Comment